AKC (American Kennel Club) Bred with H.E.A.R.T Program
Following the guidelines of AKC (American Kennel Club) Bred with H.E.A.R.T. Good Dog Good Breeder programs, and other organizations, Pickwick Pugs provides health tests on all of our pugs who are part of our breeding program.
Pickwick Pugs are:
Pickwick Pugs are:
- Pickwick Pugs breeding stock is health tested in accordance with the recommendations of the Pug Dog Club of America.
- Pickwick Pugs are AKC Registered
- The Pug Dog Club of America recommends all dogs used for breeding and exhibition be screened for health issues. To that end, the Pug Dog Club of America recommends the following tests:
- Hip Dysplasia - OFA Evaluation
- Patellar Luxation - OFA Evaluation
- OFA or CERF Eye Examination - by a boarded ACVO Ophthalmologist
- Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE) - DNA test for Necrotizing Meningoencephalitis
- Elbow Dysplasia (Optional) - OFA Evaluation
- Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PKD) (Optional) - DNA based PKD test results from an approved lab
- Serum Bile Acid Test (Optional) - PDCA recommends Bile Acid testing for puppies. Typically a 1-2 hour post-prandial Bile Acid is run at 9-10 weeks of age. If it is elevated, then a repeat test is performed using both fasting and post-prandial samples.
- Pickwick Pugs also includes non-required testing such as heart evaluations and spine X-rays.
- EDUCATION: Pickwick pugs promises to pursue AKC provided or AKC approved continuing breeder education so that we stay educated on the best breeding practices, including advances in canine health.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Pickwick Pugs agrees to comply with the AKC Care and Conditions Policy, including inspections by the AKC, and promises to share with AKC health testing and continuing education documentation.
- RESPONSIBILITY: Pickwick Pugs accepts responsibility for the health and well-being of the puppies we produce and for complying with all laws regarding the ownership and maintenance of dogs.
- TRADITION: Pickwick Pugs upholds the AKC’s tradition of breeding purebred dogs that are happy and healthy.