We currently do not have any available puppies but we have a planned litter for Summer, 2019. If you are interested in being added to our waiting list, please complete the questionnaire so that we can get to know you and keep you updated. Through the online inquiry form, subsequent follow-up email, and possible eventual conversations and meetings, we gradually find the perfect human(s) for each of our pug puppies.
We are looking for:
- Humans who understand purchasing a puppy is a lifetime commitment and understand the pug breed.
- Humans who would be willing to meet us in person and visit (once the puppies are old enough). We do not ship.
- Humans who are willing to plan ahead and wait for the perfect match.
- Humans who meet important requirements (as per puppy application -- home environment etc.)
- Humans who will give the puppy attention, training, proper care, medical attention, healthy diet, and lots of loving for life.
- Humans who use gentle, force-free, humane training as recommended by the American Veterinary Society for Animal Behavior, not using e-collars, prong collars, or intimidation.
- Humans who will abide by the principles of the AKC Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge.
- Humans who will love their pug more and more every day ... even after the puppy is old, gray, possibly deaf, blind, and perhaps a bit senile.
- Humans who will be willing to return the puppy to us if they are never able to meet the puppy's needs completely.
If you are interested in purchasing a puppy please complete the online inquiry form and let us get to know you and learn more about your desires and needs. Our waiting list is long but it is based not upon first-come-first-serve, but finding a perfect match for each pup. Recently, a Facebook friend shared the following post, and it truly describes our process and philosophy. Perhaps this will help explain why we are so thorough when getting to know prospective buyers and in all we do with our puppy protocol.
When a breeder entrusts you with one of their babies, you receive a piece of their heart and a part of their legacy."
A few more things to know:
- We only raise AKC registered pugs.
- Dewclaws are removed when they are approximately 3 days old except for unusual situations.
- Puppies are only released to new owners no sooner than 12 weeks of age and after they are checked by our Veterinarian.
- By 12 weeks they will have had their Distemper vaccine and dewormed multiple times.
- The puppies are started on Heartgard (Ivermectin/pyrantel) and monthly flea control prior to going to new homes.
- All puppies are ID'd with Microchips and sold with a lifetime pre-paid transfer paperwork for their microchips.
- You are given a complete health record and folder when you take your puppy home.
- Puppies sold as Companion animals, will have limited AKC Registration papers. This means they MUST be spayed or neutered per contract agreement at the appropriate age. At Pickwick Pugs, our goal is for the betterment of the Pug breed hence we are very strict in enforcing the spay/neuter requirement at the appropriate age for all pugs sold as companions. A $100 cash refund is offered to companion animals upon verification of spay/neuter from veterinarian.
- Unique to Pickwick Pugs, because we believe so strongly in the importance of the bond created through training and learning together, as well as the mental and emotional well-being created through the challenges of learning new skills, we offer cash refunds (up to $400 for companion home pups; up to $500 for show home pups) for "titles" earned through participation in fun events like AKC Trick Dog, AKC Rally, AKC Agility, AKC Scent Work, Barnhunt, Canine Freestyle, AKC Obedience, Dock-Diving and even AKC Achiever Dog certificate. Since it's not about pride with us and accumulation of titles, but rather the well-being of each pug and the wonderful bond created through training, we also offer an option to companion home pups to compete online using videos if being in a show ring is not your cup of tea. You can complete the necessary online-version of titles from the comfort of your living room or backyard. We honor the cash refunds for online participation in lieu of AKC titles when this is a more appropriate avenue for you and your pup! If for some reason it is not possible to find an online virtual show available, we can workout our own online event with your video submissions directly to Pickwick Pugs. However, don't knock the dog shows until you try them. Yes, they can be a bit nerve-wracking at first, but it is so much fun being around other dogs and dog lovers --- for both you and (most) pugs!
- Show prospects are only available to established show breeders or to those we meet who are being mentored by a reputable AKC Breeder or PDCA Mentor. Membership in PDCA and in AKC Bred with Heart is required for all prospective show homes. We only sell puppies with open papers to people looking to show and bred for the betterment of the breed, not to produce puppies just for the pet market.
- Show home owners are required to complete all of the health screen testing recommended by AKC Bred with Heart and PDCA. Pickwick Pugs will complete and pay for the Necrotizing Meningoencephaitis (NME)/Pug Dog Encephalitis (PDE) test, and the Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PKDef) test prior to 12 weeks but the new owner of puppy is responsible for the OFA testing between 24-30 months of age, the annual CERF, BOAS, and any additional future testing for pugs which may become required by the AKC Bred with Heart program.
- Our show contracts are a bit different from many other contracts in that we offer cash refunds for performance title, do not do co-ownership, and do not require a puppy-back. We add this because we believe so strongly in the importance of the bond created through regular and continued training. The cash refunds (up to $300 total) are awarded when titles are earned for performance events such as rally, tricks, agility, scent work, therapy dog, dock diving, and canine good citizenship, in addition to conformation championship and grand championship.
- We only accept from pre-approved prospective owners deposits ($500) to hold a pup once it is 8 weeks old, after the 6-week temperament evaluations and the 8-week evaluations have been completed. At this point we will know that the pup is healthy and thriving, and we will know which pup or pups we might be keeping as part of our breeding program. From then on, the new owner can be a part of the pup's life via visits and Skype, but the pup does not move to its new home until 10-12 weeks of age, as advised by our extraordinary behavior veterinarian. The deposit goes towards the total purchase price. Deposits are non refundable but go towards the total purchase price. The balance is due at 12 weeks when you pick-up your puppy.
We encourage those who become a part of our Pickwick Pug family to keep us posted with updates, photos, questions, concerns, and updates on all of their achievements, latest Halloween costumes, and favorite treats and tricks! We will be there for you for the entirety of your pup's life if you need us, (don't forget to keep up posted with titles earned, spay/neuter status for your cash refunds!) and we always stand behind our commitment to keep the pup or find another fabulous home if there ever comes a time in your life where you would not be able to keep him/her.